Sunday, February 5, 2012

Elegant Paper Beads

I got an entire roll of wall paper from my sweet mother-in-law a couple of weekends ago. I just love it when she cleans out her basement!
I've been playing experimenting with it. I have some ideas and am trying a few different things. I finished one project. I wanted to share the jewelry that I made with you.


Because the paper is so thick, I used strips just 4 inches long, by 1 inch wide. I cut a coat hanger and used the wire from it to wrap the strips around. After gluing the ends I put them each in a binder clip overnight to dry. The next day I put each on a toothpick and painted them all over with Mod Podge to just give them a good seal. 
Don't you just love my high tech drying rack?
Here's a close up of one of them.
Once the Mod Podge was dry I strung them each onto a head pin with a glass bead from my stash at the bottom and tiny gold bead on each end.
I really had just planned to use them on a necklace, but I found some hoop earring wires in my findings stash and I really like the way the look as earrings.




I hung the rest of them from a thrifted necklace that I had.


I'm happy with the results. Sorry for not modeling them. It's Super Bowl Sunday, so I never got out of my sweats today! 


Have you made paper beads lately? Do you have any favorite crafts using paper? Mom says she has a second roll of the same paper that I can have when she finds it, so I'm open to suggestions on what to do with it.


I hope you had a good weekend. Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful week :)

21 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy, your jewelry is absolutely adorable. Great job you did and if you wanted, you could make more out of the other roll your MIL gives you, when she finds it, and perhaps sell them to friends and family. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cool! I've never seen that before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I would have never come up with that. I just shared it on my blogs Facebook page I liked it so much!

    Amber
    Life, Love, Green

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! So glad I hoard scrapbooking paper now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful set! You are so creative! :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your Link Within gadget looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never made paper beads, but maybe I will now!! These are beautiful! Thanks SO much for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative! Awesome job! I'm glad you linked up to my party!!! Thanks for sharing!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so nice. I really like the beads you paired them with.
    If you would like to try another cool bead idea, you can make "turquoise" beads out of potatoes.
    I made some years ago and they really did look like nuggets of turquoise. Just peel a potato, then cut random chunks about half as long as your little finger and about the same diameter. Run a piece of thread through just like you are stringing them and tie a knot in between. Then hang near a heat source to dry. Like a water heater, or furnace. After a couple days they will be dark and dry, very hard and will have shrunk a bit.. Paint with turquoise craft paint, dry, then dab black paint here and there, wiping off before it dries to highlight any cracks. Put on a coat of sealer or just leave with a matte finish. String like beads for earrings or whatever.
    This is a really cool craft for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know this is getting another feature! This time on our website for the Green Craft Round-Up at Life, Love, Green!

    Amber
    http://www.lifelovegreen.com

    ReplyDelete